Most small businesses run their own PPC campaigns and the biggest issue they face is how to organise their campaign ad groups. If you are new to PPC, let me give you this good news even the most experienced entrepreneurs who have been running their campaigns for quite some time still face similar challenges as you.
Frequently I get the opportunity to look into PPC campaigns to determine if businesses are using them effectively. Sadly the majority of them are just bare minimum campaigns with a single ad group, which contains a single ad copy with all the keywords dumped into it. The ad is used for pointing to home page. No wonder they don’t get good results. It’s not easy covering every angle in one article. Often it is only one thing that makes the whole difference though.
Ad Group Organisation
- Initial Keyword Research
- Determine your Ad Group
- Choose your landing page
- Write a test ad copy (Specific to landing page)
Your best place to start keyword research is on your landing page. Most of the time I see businesses using broad, industry specific keywords in their PPC campaigns but when I land on their page I see a completely different set of keywords in their content.
When asked they say;
“The keywords we are using in the content are not traffic keywords.”
If that’s the case then why are you using those keywords in the first place?
Ad Group Organisation Steps
- Always create a separate ad group for your default content and add keywords that are in the content. This will help you increase your “quality score” and bring your cost per click down significantly.
- For traffic keywords rewrite the content and adjust your other keywords. Create a separate ad group for the landing page.
- If you don’t have time pay someone $10 to do a good job for you. $10 is a small investment compared to your monthly PPC budget. If you don’t know anyone go to fiverr.com or elance.com where you will find thousands of people to do the work.
- Write your ad copy specific to the landing page. This is very important, check your landing page heading and content and write your ad copy to completely sync with the message of your landing page. This will not only increase your quality score but also give a transparent user experience to your visitors.
This image illustration will give you a better idea:
Industry Specific Example of Ad Group Organisation
As an example let’s look at a Plumbing Company.
Above is an example from one specific industry; you can create your own ad groups according to your industry needs. Create multiple ad copies for each ad group and test which works better for you.
Time is money! So thanks for investing your time in reading this article.
Hope you like the article. Your comments would be much appreciated.